Monday, February 11, 2013

Crock Pot Chili



It’s chilly, so it’s time to make chili! This is such a simple and quick recipe, and I’ve been making it like this for years. This is one of those crock pot meals that I loved to make on Saturday night to have ready for lunch on Sunday after church. Make some dinner rolls to go with it, or for a quick accompaniment, pick up some French bread at the grocery.

Let’s get cooking!




You’ll need to open the cans of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and kidney beans. I usually ask someone who doesn’t have as much arthritis to do it for me. ;) Drain the kidney beans but do not rinse.






Next, dice up the onions, peppers, and celery. When I made this the other night, I happened to only have some yellow, orange, and red sweet peppers, so that’s what I used. I do like to have green bell pepper along with other colors, just because I like how nice it makes the chili look, if I have some.




Peel and mince the garlic. I actually had taken the photo of the lovely veggies before I minced the garlic, so it missed the boat in this picture. Oh well, I use garlic a lot, so there’ll be another “photo op” for it in the future. ;)




Put the tomatoes, tomato paste, drained kidney beans, and all vegetables in the crock pot.






Add the hamburg. This is optional, but I usually add at least a little bit for the ones who like it. This is one of the bags of browned hamburg that I had in the freezer. I just put it in the microwave for three minutes and it was ready to use.







Add the brown sugar, medium hot chili powder, and black pepper. I don’t add salt to this; there’s already a lot of sodium in the tomatoes.





Cook on low in the crock pot overnight. I usually start it out on high for 2 hours, then turn down to low until lunch the next day. Stir many times throughout.

Serve with grated extra sharp cheddar cheese and some sour cream if you’d like. I love the way the sour cream adds a cool creamy compliment to the spicy hot chili! ~TMMF

Crock Pot Chili
(serves 8 with leftovers!)

2 large cans diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
2 cans light red kidney beans
2 cans dark red kidney beans
1 large Vidalia onion
2 peppers, any color
2 stalks celery
5-6 cloves garlic
2-3 Tbl. brown sugar
2-3 Tbl. medium hot chili powder
2 tsp. black pepper







3 comments:

  1. PS: Wait until you smell how good this makes the house smell cooking throughout the night! ~TMMF

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sooooo true Valerie, that smell made me know something delicious was in store for dinner. I just love your Chili. And as usual your blog..writing, pics, and layout, is easy to read and understand. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thank you. :) The smell of chili slow cooking through the night is better than Glade plug-ins.

    ReplyDelete