Thursday, April 18, 2013

Simply Delicious Cole Slaw




When I first made cole slaw, it was so creamy, I had to name it that. I never even liked cole slaw until I was an adult. However, once I did, for years, we would buy cole slaw from a local grocery store (YUCK!!) or a small local seafood restaurant that had the absolutely BEST whole belly fried clams, but blah cole slaw. Either way, the cole slaw we bought was limp, white, and vinegary.

However, KFC, which was the turning point for me and my love affair with cole slaw (theirs was actually what made me even like it!), was always so crisp and fresh tasting, and the sauce delicious. It was made a few times at my house, trying to recreate what I was tasting when I got it at KFC. I didn’t write down a recipe, so I just tried to wing it, using the ingredients I thought were used. It came up a hit. I believe this will be a hit with your family too.




First, after pulling off any outer leaves that are brown or withered, quarter the cabbage and cut out the core. Lay each quarter on a flat side and slice very thinly. Turn the pile of slices so the long side is horizontal, and chop finely.








Peel the carrot and grate. Add to the cabbage in a large mixing bowl..









In a medium mixing bowl, add the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and celery seed. Mix thoroughly with a wire whisk.









Add to the cabbage and carrot, mixing to coat well. Refrigerate if you’re not serving right away. Yum yum! Enjoy! ~TMMF





                                                            Creamy Cole Slaw

                                                            1 small cabbage
                                                            1 large carrot
                                                            2 c. mayonnaise
                                                            ¼ c. white vinegar
                                                            1 Tbl. sugar
                                                            1 tsp. celery seed

*Note: Do not use celery salt.



1 comment: