Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Sautéed Chicken with Ginger Parsnips and Carrots



This is another of the recipes that I received with my box from HelloFresh, a home delivery company that supplies you with 3 dinner recipes and the ingredients necessary for them. While all 3 recipes were incredibly delicious, this was our favorite among them. An Asian flair, lots of veggies, and my favorite dark meat chicken…this is a recipe for success!

So, let’s get cooking!

Prepare the vegetables by dicing the Vidalia onion, then peel and slice the parsnips and carrots. Peel and mince the garlic cloves. I use my garlic press to mince them at the appropriate time in the cooking process of the recipe. Using a knife, pare the fresh ginger and mince. If using fresh thyme, strip the leaves off the sprigs of thyme with your fingers.


Dissolve the chicken stock cube in 1 cup of water and set aside.

Trim any fat from the chicken thighs and season with salt and pepper. I used my sea salt and peppercorn grinders that my beloved daughter Caitlin gave us.


In a large skillet over medium-high heat, toast the sliced almonds, stirring them constantly until they are golden brown. Set aside in a bowl or plate.


In the same skillet, heat ½ Tbl olive oil, and sauté the chicken thighs for 2-3 minutes, until browned. Turn the thighs and sauté another 2 minutes.


Place the chicken thighs on a sheet pan and cook in a pre-heated 350° oven for 6-8 minutes.


Using the same skillet, heat the last 1 Tbl of olive oil and sauté the onions, garlic, and ginger, about 3 minutes. Add the parsnips, carrots, and thyme. After about another 3 minutes, season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.


Next, add the chicken stock to the sauté pan and cover, simmering for about 8 minutes, about the time the vegetables will be tender. I took the cover off after 3-4 minutes so I could cook down the stock and create a thicker sauce.


Serve by scooping out a portion of the vegetables onto a plate, then placing a chicken thigh portion on top, and finally sprinkling the toasted almond slices.

My family LOVED this recipe, even my young boys. I had decided that the next time I made it, I would include celery in the recipe, and I did. The celery turned out as well as I had expected for this dish, and all in the family loved it. Enjoy! ~TMMF

Sautéed Chicken with Ginger Parsnips and Carrots
     (a HelloFresh recipe) (serves 4)

4 boneless chicken thighs
1/3 Vidalia onion
1 thumb ginger root
3 cloves garlic
2 parsnips
3 big carrots
1 oz. sliced almonds
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
     (or 1/2 tsp or so dried)
1/2 chicken stock cube
   in 1 c. water
     (or 1 chicken bullion cube)
1 1/2 Tbl olive oil




No comments:

Post a Comment