Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Pizza Part 16: Valerie's Cheeseburger Pizza



Cheeseburger Pizza…oh my! The first time I had one was years ago from Domino’s. It had the meat, hamburg and bacon, lots of cheese, and some kind of sauce that wasn’t on other pizzas. It was really good, and I thought I liked Cheeseburger Pizza.

Enter Papa John’s Double Cheeseburger Pizza: hamburg, tomatoes, and pickles. What? Pickles on a pizza?? Oh, Mylanta, is it ever good!!

We ordered the Double Cheeseburger pizza several times from Papa John’s, and though we always ordered another pizza that everyone liked, the Double Cheeseburger ran out first. It’s that good.

So, of course I had to make it. Besides the fact that their Double Cheeseburger pizza isn’t a menu regular, I knew I could make it for less, and I knew how to improve it. The only thing I wasn’t sure about was the “zesty burger sauce.” But hey, I don’t mind playing around a few times with it and discovering what works. Hehehe ;-)

What came out of all the experimenting was what I’m presenting to you now. My family loves it and out of all the pizzas I’ve created or “copycatted,” this is way up on the list of my favorites. I think you’ll love it too.

So, let’s get cooking!


Prepare your veggies to meet their Maker: slice the pickles thinly, dice the tomatoes, and slice the onions. I halved the onion, then laid it on the cut side and sliced it, then cut the slices into thirds or fourths.

Grate the cheddar cheese and the mozzarella if you bought it whole. I haven’t bought a block of mozzarella in years because the price for shredded is lower. Hey, less work for me! ;-)

Mix together the mayonnaise and ketchup for the sauce and set aside.


Spread the pizza dough on a greased pan and then spread the sauce on it. Sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese, and then place the pickles on top.


Next, dole out the onions, the diced tomatoes, and the browned hamburg or ground turkey. I have used ground turkey every time because I can’t afford hamburg, and the family never knew any difference.


Lastly, sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese on top of all. Bake in a 425° oven for 18 minutes, and you’re ready to go!

Enjoy! ~TMMF

Valerie’s Cheeseburger Pizza

1 pizza dough
½ lb hamburg, browned
   (or ground turkey)
2 tomatoes
2 dill pickles
½ Vidalia onion
½ c mayonnaise
½ c ketchup
1 c mozzarella cheese
1 c sharp cheddar cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment