Wednesday, August 9, 2017

General Tsao's Tofu


I am not a vegan or a vegetarian, but I absolutely LOVE this recipe, adapted from one on Food.com! My daughter made it for me once and I was hooked. You know I love just about any Chinese food, anything with an Asian flair, but this recipe is at the top of my list. I change nothing about it; just make, eat, and enjoy!

So, let’s get cooking!


Mince the ginger root and garlic and set aside. 

Slice the tofu into rectangles about 1” long. 

In a bowl, beat egg and add in the water. Dip each piece of tofu in the egg mixture, then dredge in the cornstarch, shaking off any excess.


Heat about 2 inches oil in a deep skillet. Fry the tofu pieces a few minutes until golden brown. Set aside on a plate. 

To make the sauce, in a new skillet, mix the ginger, garlic, veggie stock, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, and red pepper flakes together, stirring while simmering. Mix together 1 Tbl cornstarch with 2 Tbl water and whisk into sauce mixture to thicken. 

Add the tofu and stir to coat.

Enjoy! ~TMMF


General Tsao’s Tofu
Caity gives it a thumbs up! 
1 lb firm tofu, drained
1 egg
3 Tbl water
¾ c cornstarch
1 Tbl ginger, minced
1 Tbl garlic, minced
2/3 c vegetable stock
2 Tbl soy sauce
¼ c sugar
1 Tbl vinegar
1 – 1 ½ tsp red pepper flakes

No comments:

Post a Comment