Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Gumbo!


The first time I had Gumbo, it was at a Memphis Roadhouse restaurant, and I think it was the first time I ever had anything Cajun. I was immediately enamored of that savory, spicy soup! I haven't had it much over the years, but seeing my cousin David's picture of some Gumbo he made a couple months back made me crave it. Thus, I present to you, this most delectable and hearty dish that will appease the demands of your taste buds for  Cajun cuisine. For this recipe, I used the best spice, Cajun Blend from PepperMary.com. They have the most excellent quality spices at very reasonable prices. Check them out!

So, let's get cooking!



In a large pot, bring the water with chicken breasts to a boil, turn down heat, and simmer until done. Cook the rice at the same time.








Dice somewhat smallish the onion, bell pepper, and celery, and mince the garlic but set aside separately.








Slice the smoked sausage. Remove tail shells from shrimp.





When the chicken is done, set it on a plate and when cool enough, cube.

Pour the broth in a bowl to use after. I added the bullion at this time to soften while I was doing other steps in the recipe.






Sauté the diced onions, bell peppers, and celery in the butter using the pot the chicken was cooked in, until tender, about 7 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook another minute.





Add the reserved broth, both cans of tomatoes, the smoked sausage, okra, corn, and PepperMary Cajun Blend. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer for 15 minutes.





Add the rice and simmer another 15 minutes. Lastly, add the chicken and shrimp, cooking just enough to heat through. Serve with a nice crusty French bread and butter, if you'd like. Enjoy! ~TMMF

Gumbo

2 small chicken breasts
1 lb. smoked sausage
1 14 oz. pkg. small shrimp
5 c. water
4 bullion cubes
2 tsp. butter
½ onion
½ bell pepper
1 stalk celery
2 large cloves garlic
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 10 oz. can diced tomatoes with      chilies
2 c. frozen okra
½ c. corn
2 c. cooked rice
1 ½ Tbl. PepperMary Cajun Blend



No comments:

Post a Comment