Friday, March 7, 2014

Meatball Sub Soup




Meatball Sub Soup…I done died and gone to heaven! I found this recipe online, on a blog called Mother Thyme by Jennifer Dempsey. I knew immediately I would like this because my favorite sub growing up was always meatball, and was I ever right! Everyone else loved this soup as well, and we decided it’s definitely a keeper. When I made this recipe, I changed some things around, adding a couple things, leaving some things out, or substituting something-or-other. The result is what you have here. I hope you’ll like it as much as my family does.

So, let’s get cooking!


First you’ll want to get started on those lovely meatballs. Get the cutting board out and dice those veggies! Since the  meatballs need to be smaller than average because they’re for soup, you’ll want to dice the ½ onion, ½ pepper, and 1 carrot smaller than normal.

Place the hamburg in a bowl, and add the Vidalia onion, green pepper, carrot, bread crumbs, milk, egg, and Parmesan cheese.

Mix together until thoroughly blended. I use my hands for this, as you know from my post Meatloafasaurus Rex. ;) In this recipe, for the Meatball Sub Soup, my daughter Megan did the honors for me. She has Down syndrome and she *loves* to cook with me, as I love to cook with her.


Now, using a small scoop or a tablespoon measure, scoop out the meatball mixture and roll into balls with your hands. Both Megan and my other daughter Caitlin rolled the meatballs for me this time. I love cooking with my kids! Place on a sheet pan and bake at 350° for about 20 minutes, until done.


Next, for the soup, dice the other half of Vidalia onion and green pepper. Peel the garlic and mince or use a garlic press at the right time, like I do.

In a large pot, pour the olive oil and sauté the onions and peppers until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add the minced garlic and sauté for one more minute.

Add the rest of the ingredients: the crushed tomatoes, the chicken broth or water and bullion, sugar, Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, basil, thyme, bay leaf, and black pepper. Add the cooked meatballs and the half & half. Stir well.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. When done, remove bay leaf.


Ladle soup into an oven-safe bowl. Add a thick slice of Italian or French bread. I have used slightly stale hamburger  rolls and they were delicious in this soup too. Sprinkle on top a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese.

Turn the oven to the broiler setting. Place the bowls on a baking sheet under the broiler until the cheese melts. Watch carefully, as the cheese can burn very quickly. I had the soup under the broiler for about two minutes total.

Remove from the broiler and serve. Remember to warn the family about how hot the bowls will be. I served them on a salad plate. Enjoy! ~TMMF

Meatball Sub Soup

Meatballs:

1 lb hamburg
1 c bread crumbs
½ c milk
1 egg
½ Vidalia onion
½ green bell pepper
1 carrot
2 Tbl Parmesan cheese

Soup:

1 Tbl olive oil
½ Vidalia onion
½ green bell pepper
2 big cloves garlic
2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 14.5 oz can chicken broth, OR
   14.5 oz water and 2 chicken bullion cubes
2 Tbl sugar
1 Tbl Parmesan cheese
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
½ tsp black pepper
½ c Half & half
1 loaf French or Italian bread
2 c shredded mozzarella cheese

2 comments:

  1. I love your personable and professional writing. Thoughtful suggestions along with practical tips...my bowl was hot .. like I like it .ummmm ...but the plate was appreciated. You're an excellent cook and author. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Philip. :) It's a work of love. :)

      Delete