Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Chicken Pot Pie Crescent Braid



This dish is one of those that you just know you’re going to try and think you done died and gone to heaven. It’s like the epitome of the best hot pocket that ever lived. Yes, it’s that good! I got it from Wine and Glue (<---what??) earlier this year. The thing is, it’s a little more involved than most recipes, but sooooo worth it.

One problem I had was that there was just one photo for it, the finished picture, and I had to just hope I was doing it right. That’s one of the reasons I started TMMF, and why I use so many photos, so people can see what they need to do and not hunt around in the dark hoping they’re doing it right. So you will enjoy the benefit of that and be able to create this lovely piece of heaven easier, with pictures and clear directions.

I have to say, this makes enough for about 4 people, so for a bigger family, you’ll need two. I seriously wanted to eat the whole thing myself, it was that awesome, but then my kids would have whined that they were hungry. ;-)

So, let’s get cooking!



Sauté the chicken in a skillet with a little oil.

Cook the peas and carrots, then drain. The recipe said frozen, but I didn’t have any, so I used frozen peas and then diced a carrot for it.

When the chicken is cooled, dice somewhat small.



Grate the cheddar cheese.

In a bowl, soften the cream cheese a little in the microwave so it’ll mix easy. Use a whisk to combine the cream cheese and condensed cream of chicken soup.

Mix in the chicken, cheese, peas, and carrots.



Now, with parchment paper on your sheet pan, unroll the sheet of crescent roll dough. I had the crescent rolls, not the sheet, so I unrolled them, laid them down together, and pressed the perforations together.

With a knife, lightly press into the dough to mark it into thirds the long way, as a guide.

Then slice the two outer thirds into 1” strips.



Spoon out the mixture into the middle of the dough. Then start "braiding." The idea is to fold the strips over, alternating sides and overlapping, but when I did it, it seemed to need me to do the top two strips on the left, then the top two strips on the right. Then I was able to do one left strip, then one right strip, yada yada. Do that all the way down, and press together each end of the lovely dumpling to seal it.



When the whole thing is done, you just bake it in a 350° oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Let it sit and catch its breath for a few minutes, then slice and serve. Oh my, you’ve never tasted anything this good!!

Enjoy! ~TMMF




Chicken Pot Pie Crescent Braid
   (serves 4)

1 can refrigerated crescent roll sheet
1 c worth cooked chicken breast
1 c peas and carrots
½ c cream of chicken condensed soup
4 oz cream cheese
½ c shredded cheddar cheese





No comments:

Post a Comment