Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes


As if Sloppy Joes weren’t one of the yummiest all-American comfort foods, along comes…Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes! Oh my!! This is a recipe I came across online, and I thought it was very good as is, but I did tweak it slightly. The result is a must-keep recipe that our family will enjoy again for a nice change of pace. I hope you do too. :)

So, let’s get cooking!


Prepare your peppers by slicing them and then cutting the slices into thirds. I have found that for this type of dish, leaving the pepper and onion slices whole makes eating the sandwiches more difficult, as the longer slices tend to pull out a bunch of the filling when you bite into them. So cutting the slices into thirds works better.





Slice the Vidalia onion in half, place the sliced side down, and cut into slices. Then slice those slices into thirds like the peppers. If half of my children didn't hate mushrooms, I'd have added them to this recipe to make it even more scrumptious.






Place the hamburg, peppers, and onions into a skillet and sauté until meat is partially browned (about halfway; just estimate).







Add the beef broth, the A1 Sauce, and the Worcestershire sauce. Mix thoroughly and simmer over lowered heat until liquid is reduced and slightly thickened.





Place the bottom buns on a sheet pan and then spoon out the sloppy joe mixture onto the buns. You can see the mess I made as the mixture fell onto the sheet pan. Try and be neater than me! ;)





Now layer the cheese on top of each. I used a slice each of Swiss and American, but I’d also like to try it with Provolone, which is the traditional cheese for Philly Cheese Steak subs. I know it was delicious the way I made it, but I also know from making the subs and from making my Philly Cheese Steak Pizza that Provolone cheese would be awesome on this too!





Using your oven’s broiler, melt the cheeses. I think it took two minutes or less for it to get melty for me. Yes, I did just make that word up. ;)





Add the top of the bun and serve with chips, pickle spears, or whatever you’d like. Enjoy! ~TMMF

Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes

1 to 1 1/2 lb hamburg
1 green bell pepper
1 Vidalia onion
1/2 c beef broth
3 Tbl A1 sauce
3 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
sliced Swiss cheese
sliced American cheese
hamburger buns or sandwich buns


No comments:

Post a Comment