Monday, October 20, 2014

Mexican Dorito Casserole



This recipe is one I found online, at Jam Hands. It sounded so good, but I have to tell you a story about why when I saw just the name, I was at first hesitant to even look at it, much less try making it.

Years and years ago, when Megan (who has Down syndrome) and Caitlin were young teens, I saw a recipe for Beef Taco Skillet. I thought, Oooooo! I love Mexican food! So of course I had to try it. I made the recipe exactly as it was supposed to be, and we sat down to supper that night in anticipation of a new culinary delight.

Everyone took a bite and started chewing, and no one said a word, but I was thinking, Omgoodness, this is disgusting! It looked so good; how can it be so gross?? Everyone’s faces were blank for a few seconds, and Megan deadpanned, “Tastes like bird bommit.”

All of us just about choked as we busted up laughing. We *all* thought it was awful, and no one ate more than that first bite. I threw it all away and got us something else to eat.

Since that night, when someone asks what I’m making for supper, I sometimes say I’m making Bird Bommit, and everyone starts laughing. ;)

Anyhoo, I gave it a whirl, despite my hesitation, and it was fantastic, I wished I had made a double batch for leftovers the next day. The only ingredient I changed was the cream of chicken soup; I switched that out for cream of celery. And it called for two layers, using half the mixture for each, and I simply used it all for one layer.

So, let’s get cooking!



In a skillet with a little oil, sauté the chicken breast.

While that’s cooking, use the grater and shred the cheddar cheese. I like to use extra sharp for that great tang!

Using two forks, shred the chicken when it’s done.



In a medium bowl, mix together the can of soup, milk, sour cream, Ro-tel tomatoes (I used the hot ones! Ay Caramba!!), cheddar cheese, and taco seasoning.

Stir in the shredded chicken.

Crush the Doritos in the bag (open it first, hahaha!). I used what was handy on the table, which happened to be a jar of peanut butter. Hey, it worked. ;)



Now assemble. Layer half the Doritos in the bottom of a greased 9 X 13” baking dish. Pour the mixture over and spread evenly. Top with the rest of the Doritos.

Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Enjoy! ~TMMF



Mexican Dorito Casserole

2 chicken breasts
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 can cream of celery soup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 can Ro-tel tomatoes
1/2 packet taco seasoning (or more- to taste)
1 bag of regular nacho cheese Doritos

No comments:

Post a Comment