Monday, October 27, 2014

Peanut Butter Cake & Frosting



Mmmmm, Peanut Butter Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting! What could be better than that, along with a glass of cold milk? This is the recipe my mother made for our family when I was growing up, and I went on to make it for my own family. I love peanut butter; I consider it to be one of my four food groups, so yeah, I love this cake! And it is so easy peasy lemon squeezy, you got this covered.

I’m going to list several steps here because there are people who have never made a cake before who may have stumbled upon my tiny little blog and it would be helpful for them to at least see what each step should look like so they know they’re on the right track. That’s one of the reasons why I include so many photos with the recipes; as many years as I’ve cooked and baked, at restaurants, nursing homes, and in my own home, I’ve had new recipes I try out that give only a photo of the finished dish, and sometimes I don’t know if I’m doing a step correctly and feel like I’m just aiming blindfolded and hoping I hit it right. That’s partly why I started TMMF.

So, let’s get cooking!




First you’ll need to mix the dry ingredients together; the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix those together in a bowl and set aside.








In a larger mixing bowl, use a mixer to beat the butter and sugar together.







Add the eggs, vanilla, and peanut butter. You can see that I’m a little heavy handed when it comes to the peanut butter in this recipe. ;)









Beat together with the mixer until well blended.









Add the dry ingredients, along with the milk, and beat to mix well, about a minute.







Pour into a greased 9 X 13” baking dish. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes. You’ll know for sure if it’s done by sticking a knife or toothpick in the middle, and if it comes out clean, it’s done.




While the cake is baking, you can make the frosting so it’s ready when the cake is baked and cooled off enough to frost. But you may want to hide it if you have young children like mine, or you may not have as much when it’s time to do the frosting. ;)



So, into the mixing bowl go the butter, vanilla, and peanut butter. I like to use natural peanut butter for everything just because I like it, but it’s not required for this. The only recipe I can think of that I believe requires natural peanut butter is the Reese’s Balls I posted here on TMMF.





Beat until well blended with the mixer. My mixer has faithfully served me, but alas--he lost a beater some time back. I named him Peg Leg Pete and we limp along with him doing the best he can with his lone beater.







Add the confectioner’s sugar, and the milk one teaspoon at a time, mixing until it’s the right consistency to be spread. I added 3 tsp. right off and then went from there, adding more as needed.




Finishing the frosting is where Peg Leg Pete gave up the ghost. I had to amputate and mix the frosting by hand the last minute or two. Viewing for Peg Leg Pete will be this Tuesday from 7-9. The funeral will be Wednesday at 10, with the eulogy given by Bobby the Blender, with whom Peg Leg Pete often hung out. Burial will be at 11 in the green trash can with the broken handle. ;)





Put the frosting on the completely cooled cake and spread evenly. I like to use a utensil called an icing spatula to spread the frosting, as it’s wider and longer than a butter knife.




VoilĂ ! Or Viola, as people sometimes get mixed up and say. ;) It always makes me giggle. ;)

Serve it up with some cold milk and watch the smiles. Enjoy! ~TMMF


Peanut Butter Cake                              Peanut Butter Frosting

1/3 c butter                                           ½ c peanut butter
1 ½ c sugar                                          ¼ c butter                          
1/3 c peanut butter                                1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs                                                  3 c 10X sugar
1 tsp vanilla                                          3-5 tsp milk
2 ¼ c flour
1 Tbl baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 c milk


No comments:

Post a Comment