Monday, May 4, 2015

Breakfast Burritos



Okay, I’ve been absent due to needing time off for various reasons, but here I am again! And since this is Monday, I have a new recipe for the Gourmet…Way Before Payday series. I’m going to slow it down to the first Monday of the month now. With the summer coming up and my sons out of school soon, I’ll be even busier than ever.

Anyhoo, here we are with this recipe that I’ve been making for a long time, decades. It’s just something I threw together one night and everyone loved it. Yes, it’s Breakfast Burritos, but I don’t think we’ve ever eaten them at breakfast! It’s usually something I make for supper when I need something quick, easy, and inexpensive. And the kids and grown ups love them! At $1.04 per serving, it’s a deal!

So, let’s get cooking!



First up, dice the onion and pepper. I’ve made this a boatload of times with no onion and pepper in it and it’s still yummy as anything!

Break the eggs into a medium bowl. Poke the yolks with a fork and whisk together until solid yellow. Add in the milk and mix thoroughly.

In a skillet, melt a little butter, and pour in the egg mixture. Add the onion and pepper, and cook, stirring and scraping with a spatula, until cooked solid. There will be liquid from the milk you can either drain with a strainer, or use a slotted spoon to scoop the eggs when it’s time to serve.


Now to assemble: Lay a tortilla wrap on the plate or table. Using the spatula, cut through the cooked eggs as if slicing a pie, dividing them into eighths. First you halve it, then halve again. Now you divide each quarter in half, so you end up with eighths. If nothing else, you’ll at least be able to see the outlines of the division lines. Scoop out the egg mixture and lay it onto the tortilla wrap in the very middle, from the top to about ¾ down.

Sprinkle on about ¼ c of the grated cheddar cheese.

Then scoop on ¼ c of the salsa or picante sauce.


Some variations of the cheese that we’ve tried and liked: sprinkle on shredded Fiesta Cheese blend. Or how about sharp cheddar cheese and some mozzarella for that stringy cheesy goodness?

Then simply fold up the bottom flap of the tortilla, and fold one side over, then the other.

Serve and enjoy! ~TMMF

Breakfast Burritos

½ green bell pepper
½ Vidalia onion
10 eggs
2 c milk
2 c cheddar cheese
2 c picante sauce or salsa
8 lg flour tortilla wraps

This cost me $8.35 to make the way I did and serve 8 people. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment