Monday, March 4, 2013

Chocolate Pie with Oat Flour Crust



Today I made a chocolate cream pie with an oat flour crust. I have been in love with oats for years. I consider them one of my four food groups. ;) This crust is quick and very easy to make, and it tastes like an oatmeal cookie.





Melt the butter and set aside.







Mix together the oat flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon.







Add the melted butter and mix well with a wooden spoon. It may look like it’s too moist or sticky, but if you press into it with your finger, you’ll see that it’s not.






Press the mixture into an un-greased 9” pie pan, making sure it comes up the sides. Bake in a 350° oven for 10 minutes, and not a minute more! Let cool.





When the crust is cooled sufficiently, mix up the filling. I’ve made pie fillings from scratch, but for this I did use a packaged pudding mix. I used 2 boxes of instant pudding and 2 ½ c. milk. Whisk until the pudding is fairly thick, and then pour into the oat flour crust. Let set in the refrigerator until firm.





While the pie is chillin’ out, make the whipped cream. Beat the cream until firm enough to keep it’s shape when you lift the beaters out. I actually prefer my whipped cream au natural, but if you like, add the vanilla and confectioner’s sugar, and beat another 30 seconds or so to blend it in.




When the chocolate pie is firm enough, slice and serve with a generous pile of the whipped cream. Watch the smiles come out! ~TMMF





Oat Flour Crust                                                         Whipped Cream

1/3 c. butter                                                             1 pint heavy cream
1 1/3 c. oat flour                                                       1 tsp. vanilla
¼ c. brown sugar                                                      1/4 c. confectioner's sugar
¼ tsp. cinnamon






2 comments:

  1. Would you be willing to share the homemade chocolate pie filling? I'd love to learn!

    ReplyDelete