Friday, March 29, 2013

Easter Bread




This recipe is for the bread my mom made at Easter every year when I was growing up. It was such a special treat and much looked forward to. Even the smell of it can take me back to those long ago Easters of my childhood, searching for the eggs we’d colored the day before, eating my mom’s wonderful Easter Bread with breakfast, scurrying to get ready for church. Such sweet memories. I hope you’ll enjoy this as much as I do.




First, set the yeast to soften in the water. I took the water warm from the tap and added the yeast in a bowl. Because you’re using less water and more yeast than typically, it will be thick. Just stir till all is moistened, then cover it with a towel and set aside.




While the yeast is softening, set the milk to scald in a small saucepan. In a small bowl, melt the butter in the microwave oven. Add the sugar, salt, and melted butter to the scalded milk and remove from heat, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved. It needs to cool down somewhat now.






In a large mixing bowl, measure out the flour. When the milk mixture is cooled but still warm, add to the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to make a thick dough.



Add the softened yeast, vanilla, and beaten eggs. Beat with a mixer until smooth. It will make a looser, sticky dough, more like a batter. Just some advice here: don’t let the dough climb up the beaters. Keep the speed on medium, and if you have to, stop beating for a few seconds to scrape the batter down off the handles of the beaters before starting again. Now how would I know to warn you about this? ;)



Cover and let rise in a warm place until bubbly. I put my electric oven on 150° for a few minutes, shut it off, and place the covered bowl on a plate inside. It will take about 45 minutes for the rising.


Next, stir down with a wooden spoon. Put into a well greased bundt pan, angel food cake pan, or 10” tube pan. Cover again and let rise till doubled, about 45 minutes.

With the oven heated to 350°, bake for 25-30 minutes. Let cool about 10 minutes and remove from pan onto cooling rack.




While the bread is cooling, mix up some icing using 1 c. confectioner’s sugar and 3 tsp. milk. You want it to be smooth and just thin enough to run down the sides. After the bread is cooled, spread the icing on top, pushing it to the edges so it drips down the sides.


Now, traditionally, this is made with white icing and then tiny pastel colored non-pareils sprinkled on.  However, this year I decided to try something new. When I was done putting the white icing on, I made a little pink, purple, and yellow icings and drizzled them back and forth over the white. Serve and enjoy! ~TMMF

Easter Bread

¼ c. warm water
2 packages yeast
½ c. milk
1/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2/3 c. melted  butter
4 c. flour
1 ½ tsp. vanilla
4 eggs, beaten


1 comment:

  1. I just love your blog! The writing is excellent. It has character, yet it's straightforward and easy to understand. I've never had this bread before and I say, "The proof *was* on the plate". Delicious <3

    ReplyDelete