Wednesday, March 6, 2013

You're Entering the CALZONE...



Okay, almost nothing can cause me to start drooling at the mere mention of it like calzones. I love them! And when the family hears that I’m making them, they get excited and say things like, “I LOVE YOU!” ;)

The first time I ever even heard of a calzone was way back in 1983. I had ordered one from a restaurant in a neighboring town, and while looking at it and eating it, I thought, I can make this! And I did. For the most part, it was just a matter of figuring out how much of each ingredient to use. The ingredients in this particular recipe are my absolute favorite for calzones.

I’ll tell you right now, there will be a lot of pictures. But that’s because you’ll have a clearer idea of the instructions if you can see for yourself what it should look like. So, let’s get cooking!




Chop your onions, and if you want to, the mushrooms.





Lightly grease your working surface (I use my table for this). Grease your hands slightly, and press out the dough into a rectangle, about 16” by 12”.

Sprinkle 1 ½ c. of the mozzarella on the lower half of the dough. :::Psst! Wanna know a secret? Sometimes I use 2 c. of cheese on the bottom and on top too!:::



Layer on the ham, two slices thick on each end and one slice folded in half in between them.




Next comes the pepperoni. I don’t exactly put double pieces on, but I layer them so there’s plenty to give the calzone that characteristic zip.




Evenly spread out the mushrooms and onions. I don't know why I always put the mushrooms first, but I do. ;)





Lastly, sprinkle on the other 1 ½ c. of mozzarella cheese.



Carefully loosen the top half of the dough and flip it over the top of the calzone to cover. Seal the edges by pressing down and pinching. You’ll need another person to help you carefully lift the calzone and place it diagonally on a greased sheet pan.



Bake at 425° for 18-20 minutes. It should be lightly browned on top and will make a “thump” when you tap the top. Slice and serve. I use a rotary pizza cutter.



Calzones

pizza dough
     (store bought or homemade pizza dough)
3 c. mozzarella cheese
5 slices ham
45 or so slices pepperoni
2 small cans mushrooms
1 medium Vidalia onion


2 comments: