Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Irish Soda Bread




With St. Patrick’s Day coming up, I thought I’d share this quick and easy recipe for Irish Soda Bread that my mom used to make when I was growing up. It’s so good, and just sweet enough to feel like it could be dessert. I like it in the morning with a nice cup of hot tea.




Add the vinegar to the milk, stir, and set aside for now.

Mix together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda. Add the raisins and caraway seeds and mix well.






Using a fork, beat the egg in a small bowl. Melt the butter in another bowl.




Add the egg, milk, and butter to the dry ingredients, stirring till just mixed. It will look lumpy, and that’s not just from the raisins. ;)

Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 13” baking dish. Smooth out so it’s all even.



Bake in a 350° oven for 25-30 minutes. I would seriously check it at 25 minutes, to be safe. It should be lightly browned on top, and edges pulled away from the sides of the baking dish. I probably could have taken mine out a few minutes before I did. Mea culpa. ;)



We usually just eat it plain, but you can serve it with butter if you’d like. Erin go braugh! as the Irish say.  Enjoy! ~TMMF

Irish Soda Bread

2 c. milk
2 Tbl. vinegar
4 c. flour
½ c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
½ 12 oz. box raisins
1 Tbl. caraway seeds
1 egg
½ c. butter




2 comments:

  1. It is so good. Thanks for treating me to the first piece, hot, right out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. :) I love this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete