Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Easy Quick Spaghetti Sauce



This here is the spaghetti sauce I make all the time for my family. I don’t know if I can say it’s “my original,” because I simply use what’s in most spaghetti sauces. The only thing that really varies is, sometimes I don’t have any meat for it, which is fine by me, and if I have meat, I may use hamburg (too expensive now!), ground turkey, sausage, and even pepperoni or kielbasa, or any combination of those. The pepperoni or kielbasa are my favorites in spaghetti sauce. I *love* them They add a special zip to the sauce.

Even being simple, basic, or whatever you’d like to call it, my family and friends who have had it love it, and it’s so easy and quick, I hope you like it too! Make it ahead, make it and freeze it for future meals (I do this!), make it for supper tonight if you have about 1 ½ hours or less. Just make it! ;)

So, let’s get cooking!



Okay, if you’re using sausage, start that cooking in a skillet now, while you work on the other ingredients. If you use hamburg, ground turkey, or pepperoni, you can go to the next step first. When the sausage is done (use a cover to expedite the cooking process), cool on a plate.







Prep the veggies: Dice the green pepper, Vidalia onion, and carrots. Mince the cloves of garlic.






In a large skillet or saucepan, use a couple tablespoons of oil to sauté the veggies you just cut, until tender and translucent. If you’re using hamburg or ground turkey, skip the oil and brown it now with the veggies. If using the pepperoni (one of those wonderful big sticks of it!), you’ll add it later.





Add the diced tomatoes and tomato paste, stirring well to thoroughly blend in (the tomato paste). Bring to a boil and then cover and turn down the heat to simmer. You’ll want this to simmer for an hour now. If using pepperoni, add it now after cutting into 4” lengths.





The sausage will hopefully be cool enough to handle now. Simply slice and add. You can slice it into ¼ inch rounds, or cut those rounds in half, or slice the sausage lengthwise, slice again, and cut (so it’s like circles quartered). I like that last option because it spreads it further.







Add the cut sausage and the spices and sugar. Sugar cuts the acid of the tomatoes.






Cook for a total simmer time of an hour. You can cook it more if you’d like, but you need at least one hour of simmering to make it taste good. This recipe works great in the crock pot, too.

Serve over the pasta of your choice. Enjoy! ~TMMF




My Megan helping. :) 

Easy Quick Spaghetti Sauce

1 lb Italian sausage, or hamburg,
   or ground turkey, or pepperoni
1 Vidalia onion
1 green bell pepper
2 carrots
4-6 cloves garlic
3 28 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 6 oz can tomato paste
2 Tbl sugar
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried thyme
3/4 tsp black pepper




*Note: Last month I had been having a special give-away to celebrate two years here at TMMF, However, during that week I got very sick and couldn't even post. So, I am running it again! If you'd like to receive this special The Magic Meal Fairy mug for your own, all you need to do is like the Facebook page (here) *and* share the post on this page for this recipe or the post for Sloppy Joe Casserole 2, or Spinach Mac & Cheese Soup. The give-away will run from 2/13/15 to Thursday, 2/19/15. The winner will be chosen on Friday, 2/20/15 and announced that day and notified. A picture of the mug is below:






No comments:

Post a Comment