Friday, February 13, 2015

Sloppy Joe Casserole 2


This is the second Sloppy Joe Casserole I’ve made, and my goodness, if I thought the other one was good…this one is just pure heaven. It’s a savory Sloppy Joe with a cheesy dumpling-like crust on top. Everyone agreed, next time I make it I have to make a double recipe. I had to carefully portion out the meager leftovers the next day. ;)

I found this recipe online, and it is credited to a woman named Darlyne Cole. The changes I made to it were minimal: I used ground turkey instead of hamburg, replaced the garlic powder with fresh garlic, increased the Worcestershire sauce, left out the dry mustard, and added carrots. They work so well with this and boost the nutrition.

So, let’s get cooking!




First, dice the onion, green pepper, and carrots (diced small). Mince the garlic.









In a large skillet, brown the ground turkey with the diced carrots, stirring as needed.








After about five minutes, add the onion, green pepper, and garlic, cooking until tender, maybe about five minutes.







Add the tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir, turn heat to low, and simmer while you prepare the topping.








Grate the sharp cheddar cheese and set aside.








Now, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the melted butter, beaten eggs, and milk. Whisk together until just mixed.








Fold in the sharp cheddar cheese. I always use extra sharp for the great taste.







Pour the Sloppy Joe mixture into a 9 X 13 baking dish. You don’t need to grease it.

Stir the topping again just a little bit, and spread on top.







If you had a little extra shredded cheese left over, sprinkle it on top like I did.





Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned on top. Enjoy! ~TMMF


Sloppy Joe Casserole 2

1 ½  lbs ground turkey
1 lg Vidalia onion
1 lg green bell pepper
2 wonderful carrots
2 nice cloves garlic
15 oz tomato sauce
¾ c ketchup
2 Tbl brown sugar
1 ½ Tbl Worcestershire sauce
2 c flour
1 Tbl baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 Tbl melted butter
2 lg eggs
1 1/3 c milk
1 ½ c shredded sharp cheddar cheese



*Note: Last month I had been having a special give-away to celebrate two years here at TMMF, However, during that week I got very sick and couldn't even post. So, I am running it again! If you'd like to receive this special The Magic Meal Fairy mug for your own, all you need to do is like the Facebook page (here) and share the post on that page for this recipe, Sloppy Joe Casserole 2. The give-away will run from today, 2/13/15 to next Thursday, 2/19/15. The winner will be chosen on Friday, 2/20/15 and announced that day and notified. A picture of the mug is below:


No comments:

Post a Comment