Friday, February 20, 2015

Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin

 


This is my second time working with spaghetti squash. I don’t know why I never tried it before, but the taste is so yummy, it makes me want to start experimenting with it on my own! This is a recipe I came across somewhere online; someone shared it on Facebook but the photo with recipe didn’t say who created the recipe. I don’t know who to give credit for it, so all I can say is I found it online. The only thing I changed was using fresh garlic instead of garlic salt.

Anyhoo, my daughter Megan, who has Down syndrome, helped me make this and just like last time, she loved scraping the “spaghetti” out of the squash. She actually scraped hers down more than mine and made a hole in the squash rind because of scraping it so thin! We enjoyed working together, and then loved this zippy recipe at supper.

So, let’s get cooking!


First, cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Then lay them upside down on a greased sheet pan. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes.

While the squash is baking, thinly slice the onion and then cut the slices into 3 or 4 pieces. Mince the garlic. I used my garlic press when it was time to add it.

In a skillet, melt the butter and sauté the onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Adjust the red pepper flakes to your desired level of heat. ;) Cook until onions are tender.


When the spaghetti squash is done, turn over and let cool a little so you can handle it, or use a kitchen towel or pot holder. Use a fork to scrape out the “spaghetti.” The middle photo shows the difference after scraping out one (the half on the left). And on the right is the one Megan scraped just as well as she cleans a chicken bone! Clean as a whistle! ;)


So, you’ve scraped the squash into a bowl. Now add the sautéed onion mixture, the sour cream, and half the shredded cheddar cheese.

Mix well and pour into a 7 X 9” baking dish. Sprinkle the other half of the cheese on top.

Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy! ~TMMF





Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin

1 spaghetti squash
1 small Vidalia onion
1 clove garlic
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
¾ c sour cream
1 c shredded cheddar cheese





Now, to announce the winner of the TMMF coffee mug in my give-away: Heidi Strawser!! I had pretty ecru colored cards made and embossed with the names of all who had entered, placed them in a luxuriously soft deep purple velvet bag with polished cherry wood handles gleaming in the sunlight, and had my Chief Assistant reach in and blindly choose one name.

Okay, so really I wrote the names on slips of paper that I tore off because I was too tired to go get the scissors. Then I put them in a used plastic grocery bag. But Megan really did blindly pick one name. That part is true. ;)

Congratulations Heidi!!


No comments:

Post a Comment