Monday, August 10, 2015

Kansas City BBQ Sauce



Summer is still here for a while, and what better way to enjoy it than with a new barbecue recipe? This one comes from the Food Network Kitchen and since I’ve heard of Kansas City style BBQ but never tried it, I was very interested. I’m so glad I did, and I know you will be also.

The original recipe called for a tiny amount of allspice, which I didn’t have, and “English-style dried mustard.” I did have dried mustard but it has vanished from my cupboard, so I substituted prepared yellow mustard. I also nixed the bay leaf and cut down on the water to make it a little thicker.

So, let’s get cooking!



Peel and mince the garlic. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil a bit. Add the garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, paprika, crushed red pepper, and ground cloves. Stir together and cook about 3 minutes or so, until paste is a dark color.



Next, add the ketchup, water, apple cider vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard. Mix together well, bring to a boil, and turn heat down to simmer gently for 30 minutes.

I used chicken leg quarters for this, so I cut them apart and removed excess fat. This would be excellent with pork, as well.



Now you grill the meat, basting with the sauce as needed. You can obviously also do this in the oven, which is what I did the night I made these. For pieces other than legs, turn them upside down. Baste sauce on each piece of meat liberally. Bake in a preheated 400° oven for 25 minutes.

Remove the baking dish or sheet pan from the oven. Turn all pieces of meat over, and baste liberally with the BBQ sauce. Back in the oven it goes for another 30 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. You can also put them under the broiler for 5 or 10 minutes afterwards for that grilled look and taste.

Enjoy! ~TMMF

Kansas City Barbecue Sauce

6 cloves garlic
2 Tbl oil
1 Tbl chili powder
1 Tbl paprika
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 c ketchup
1/2 c water
1/2 c apple cider vinegar
1/4 c molasses
1/4 c dark brown sugar
1 Tbi soy sauce
1 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbl prepared yellow mustard
(or 2 tsp dried mustard)


No comments:

Post a Comment