Monday, September 22, 2014

I Helped My Hamburger Myself



Okay, this recipe was born, literally, in a few seconds as I was grocery shopping and walked by an end cap display of “Ultimate Hamburger Helper.” I saw the photo on the box and though how good it looked, and instantly it popped into my head that I could make a dish like it myself.

As I walked through the rest of the store, my brain was off and running with this idea and wouldn’t rest until I had tried it out. The result was so good, everyone loved it and it sure disappeared fast! I hope you like it. You can substitute ground turkey or TVP as you see fit.

So, let’s get cooking!



Set a pot of water to boil for the pasta. While you’re waiting for it to boil, dice the Vidalia onion and green pepper, and peel and mince the garlic.

In a skillet, cook the hamburg, chopped onion and pepper, and minced garlic until hamburg is done and veggies are tender. Set aside in a bowl.




While that’s cooking, cube the Velveeta cheese and shred the sharp cheddar cheese. I always use extra sharp cheddar.



In the skillet, melt the butter. Add the flour with a whisk. When bubbly, slowly add the evaporated milk, whisking and scraping the sides of the pan to get all the roux mixed in. Keep cooking on medium heat and whisking until thickened.



Add the can of diced tomatoes, the red pepper flakes, and the black pepper and stir well. Add the cubed Velveeta cheese and the shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Mix well with the whisk until cheeses are melted.



Add the hamburg/veggie mixture and stir until evenly mixed in. Drain the pasta well, and place back in the pot it was cooked in. Add the meat/veggie sauce to the pasta.

Serve and enjoy! ~TMMF

My sweet Megan cubing Velveeta. <3
I Helped My Hamburger Myself 

12 oz pasta, cooked
1 lb hamburg
1 Vidalia onion
1/2 lg green pepper
2 cloves garlic
3 Tbl butter
¼ c flour
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
6 oz Velveeta cheese
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese
   (1 c shredded)
½ tsp red pepper flakes
½ tsp black pepper



No comments:

Post a Comment