Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Chicken Stew with Easy Dumplings


This is a recipe I found online, and I can’t seem to find where it was or which one (there seem to be several), but at any rate, I want to say it’s not mine. I just adjusted it a wee tiny bit. ;)

I think the original recipe called for just chicken, maybe some celery and onion, but that was it. And you know how I can’t resist adding veggies to something to amp it up! So I did add carrots and peas too and turned it into a chicken stew. I know, I know….I’m just incorrigible! You can blame me if you turn out to be eating healthier because of my always sneaking some veggies into recipes. ;)

The difference in this recipe that made me want to try it was that it uses refrigerated flaky biscuits for the dumplings, and that sounded both interesting and yummy, so I had to try it out. They do turn out very different than regular dumplings; they’re not the light fluffy kind, but rather soft and slightly chewy. This was in no way bad; they reminded me of my homemade Pot Pie Noodles.

So, let’s get cooking!






First, get the chicken cooking in the 6 c of water, in a large pot. When done set aside and when cooled, pick the meat off the bones and cut up.









Meanwhile, back at the ranch…oh wait, that’s the western I was reading! Good gravy marie, where is my head today?

As I was saying, while the chicken is cooking, dice the celery, onions, and carrots. When I made this, I used a bunch of baby carrots, as there were no other carrots to be had in the house. You can leave them whole or cut into rounds. Also, cut the uncooked refrigerated flaky biscuits into quarters.








When the chicken has been removed from the water, add the veggies and bullion cubes to the pot. Bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer, covered, until the carrots are al dente.













To thicken, mix the flour and ½ c cold water in a bowl with a whisk. You’ll have some lumps; don’t worry, just keep whisking briskly and they will smooth out.









With the heat on a little more than medium, bring the veggies/broth to a boil. Using the whisk, slowly add the flour/water mixture as you whisk it directly under the thickener you’re adding. Keep mixing it in and it’ll thicken fairly quickly. No need to scrape the bowl clean, just use what you can kind of get out with the whisk at the end.









With the stew at a medium boil, add the quartered biscuits one by one until all are in the pot. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, then stir to sort of mix them up a little and get the other side cooked. Cook for another 5 minutes or so. They do puff up, but then they shrink and make dumplings with a really interesting texture. We all liked them very much.




Serve and Enjoy! ~TMMF

Chicken Stew with Easy Dumplings

2 or 3 chicken leg quarters
   (or chicken pieces of your choice)
6 c water
3-4 chicken bullion cubes
4 carrots
2 stalks celery
½ Vidalia onion
1 ½ c frozen peas
¾ c flour
a little more than ½ c cold water
1 can refrigerated flaky biscuits

No comments:

Post a Comment