Monday, March 16, 2015

Kraft Tuna Casserole


Is it Monday again? Why yes it is, and that means another recipe for the Gourmet…Way Before Payday series. This is a recipe I threw together one night and it turned out so good, I could eat it right now for breakfast if I had some. I hope you’ll like it too. You’re using boxed macaroni and cheese, but the amount of ingredients is changed a little, plus you’ll make it a little differently.

So, let’s get cooking!


First, set a pot of water on to boil for the pasta, and after cooking the macaroni from the 2 boxes for about 7 minutes, drain and set aside. While that’s heating and all, dice the onion, celery, and carrots. Set the frozen peas and the diced carrots on to cook until both are just tender, then drain.

You can use frozen peas and carrots (the kind sold in one bag); just use 2 cups of it. I didn’t have that on hand. Well, I don’t even buy the peas with carrots in it anyway. ;) If you’d like or need to, a can of each of them will do. I don’t like canned peas or carrots, though I do keep canned peas on hand for a quick stew or whatever. They usually sit in the cupboard for a while. ;)

Also, now would be a good time to drain the tuna, setting the juice aside to use in this recipe.


In a large skillet, sauté the onion and celery in the 6 Tbl of butter until translucent. With a whisk, stir in the flour to make a roux, and let cook, bubbling, for a minute. Slowly add the milk and the juice from the tuna, whisking the whole time, until thickened.


Turn the heat down to low and add the 2 packets of cheese sauce mix. I know, I know, look at the day-glo bright color! I'm pretty sure it's not radioactive. Almost. ;)

Now add the peas and carrots and the drained tuna. Mix in the cooked macaroni, and you’re ready to roll. Enjoy! ~TMMF



Kraft Tuna Casserole

2 boxes mac & cheese
1-2 cans tuna, drained
   *save the juice!
½ small onion
1 stalk celery
2 carrots
1 c frozen peas
3 Tbl butter
2 Tbl flour
1 c milk
3-4 oz cheese
   (optional)



This recipe cost me $5.37 to make it the way I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment