Monday, March 30, 2015

Creamed Tuna on Toast



Oh, Monday, Monday, how do you come around again so quickly? Yes, today is Monday, and that means it’s Gourmet…Way Before Payday day! Well that sounded weird. At any rate, this is a dish my mom prepared whilst I was growing up, and I really have no clue how she made it, but this is how I make it, haha!

It’s inexpensive, and if you have a few boiled eggs in the fridge, that saves a step. I frequently make up a big pot of boiled eggs because my kids, my sons especially, like to have 2 or 3 for a snack, sometimes twice in one day. Yes, they do eat like that. My sister always told me how her teen boys ate her out of house and home, but until mine were older, I didn’t realize how true it could be!

Anyhoo, I frequently have some boiled eggs around, but if I don’t, it’s not the end of the world to make some. And I have to tell you, my kids love this recipe. They love it. L-O-V-E love it. When I say this serves 6 people, I’m kind of thinking of six regular eating people. Which kind of rules out my sons at this moment in time. I have to make a little extra to satisfy them. The rest of us will have 2 slices of toast with the Creamed Tuna, but they kind of, sort of, okay yes they do have FOUR. Where do they put it all??

So, let’s get cooking!



Set the peas to cook with water in a small saucepan, and drain when done. If you don’t already have some boiled eggs, get ‘em done now! ;)

Drain the tuna and *save the juice!

Dice the celery and onion. If you don’t happen to have onion and/or celery, this will still taste yummy, but with the onion and celery, it’s like Deluxe Yummy.


In a large saucepan, sauté the onion and celery with the butter until translucent.

Stir in the flour and cook a minute to make the roux.

Slowly add the milk and tuna juice, whisking the entire time, scraping the edges of the pan with a rubber spatula as needed, until mixture is thickened. Add the salt and pepper.


Chop up the boiled eggs.

With a wooden spoon, stir in the tuna, drained peas, and chopped eggs.

Place two slices of toast on the plate and top with a generous serving of the Creamed Tuna.

Enjoy! ~TMMF

Creamed Tuna on Toast
   (serves 6)

4 Tbl butter                
¼  c plus 2 Tbl flour    
½ small Vidalia onion
1 stalk celery                
3 ½ c milk                                    
½ tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 ½ c frozen peas           .
12 oz tuna, drained      
   *save the juice!
6 hard boiled eggs        
12 slices bread, toasted

It cost me $5.32 to make this delicious old fashioned meal.

2 comments:

  1. I make this but without the celery and onion. One of my favorite dishes. So So Good!

    ReplyDelete